Skip to main content

Already in the Netherlands

Great to see that you are already living in the Netherlands. How has it been for you? We hope the directness and strange birthday traditions (AKA sitting in a circle) haven’t been too much to acclimatise to! As you are living in the Netherlands, you probably already have a permit. However, as you and your life here change, your permit might have to change with you. Let’s dive into the details.
People walking with their suitcase in the city.
© Rijksoverheid

Permanent residency

Are you a citizen of an 'European Economic Area' country (EEA) or living in the Netherlands for some time and wanting to make it permanent? That’s great news! In this case, you’ll need to apply for a permanent residency permit. This could be with or without the status of long-term resident EC. Read more about the conditions for the various types of permanent residency permits.


Working in the Netherlands

Let’s get down to business. When working in the Netherlands as a non-EEA citizen, you’ll need a permit. But which one? There are various residency permits that allow you to work in the country, depending on the purpose of your stay and your eligibility. Read more about the conditions of the various permits. EEA citizens have free access to the labour market. You can find more information at the website of the Immigration and Naturalisation service.


Dutch flags at the political center in The Hague.
© Tweede Kamer der Staten-Generaal

European blue card

In very specific cases, a European blue card for highly skilled employees might be the most suitable residency permit for you, although this European immigration scheme is less applicable in the Netherlands than in some other countries. Read all about the conditions.


Applying for a different type of residency permit

If you’d like to apply for a different type of residency permit that best fits your new situation, simply file a new application. Read more about the procces.